Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Aboard JAL's B747
 [Japan Airlines] JL 9 ORD-NRT (Chicago/O'Hare->Tokyo/Narita) trip report
 [일본항공] JL 9 시카고/오헤어->도쿄/나리타 탑승기

JL 9 ORD-NRT (Chicago/O'Hare->Tokyo/Narita)
DEP 11:40 ORD 23 JUN 2009
ARR 14:40 NRT 24 JUN 2009
Flight Duration: 12:00
Aircraft: B747-400


Summertime came fast and it was time to head back to my motherland. Usually, I would take Korean Air back from Chicago to Seoul/Incheon (or back in the days, Seoul/Gimpo), but this year, I saw that Japan Airlines was offering a much lower price.  Wanting to try something new, and never having been to Japan at all in my life so far (I would eventually go to Japan in 2013 and 2015). The itinerary would be to travel via B747-400 from Chicago/O'Hare to Tokyo/Narita, have a 4-hour layover in Narita before hopping on a flight from Tokyo/Narita to Seoul/Incheon on a B767-300. I assigned my seats to window seats.
Later, I found this out when I checked in at O'Hare Airport, but the aircraft from Tokyo/Narita to Seoul/Incheon (JL 959) had been switched to B747-300 last minute.  I assume that the flight had been overbooked, since I was bumped up to Business class for this flight segment!



여름이 오고 한국에 돌아가야 할 시간이 왔습니다. 평상시에는 대한항공 타고 귀국하는게 대부분인데 이번해는 일본항공에서 저렴한 티켓이 나와서 구매했습니다. 여정은 시카고/오헤어에서 B747-400기 타고 출발, 다음날 도쿄/나리타 도착, 4 시간 레이오버 후 도쿄/나리타 에서 B767-300 타고 출발, 같은날 늦은 저녁 서울/인천 공항에 도착하는 여정이였습니다.
나중에 시카고공항에서 체크인 할때 안 사실이지만, 나리타 인천 구간이 B767-300 에서 B747-300로 바뀌었답니다. 오버부킹 때문일까요? 어쨌든 그 구간은 (아쉽께도 JL 9 은 그대로 일반석) 비즈니스석으로 업그레이드 됬습니다.

 This scene is something you would not be able to see today. A Japan Airlines old logo and its B747-400, and bunch of AA old logos in the background. Even the fact that a JAL aircraft is parked at Terminal 5 is old, since JAL now uses Terminal 3 along with One World members.

일본항공의 이 도색은 지금은 찾아볼수가 없죠. 제가 이 비행기를 타고 나서 일본항공은 B747기를 모두 퇴역하였답니다. 일본항공은 따라서 2011년 부터 오헤어 공항 Terminal 3 를 다른 원월드 동맹사들과 함께 쓰기 시작했구요. 저기 멀리 있는 아메리칸 도색도 이제는 못보겠죠. 따라서 여기 있는 사진은 더이상 볼수 없은 풍경...

My boarding passes; the top one is the JL 9 and the bottom one (Business class!) is JL 959

Boarding was due to start at 11:10AM

I saw some JAL attendants passing by.

If Korean Air wasn't so expensive for this date, I would've taken this flight.

Which plane looks better? I think Korean Air IMHO.

From my seat 53K. I had a good view of the right wing.

The Japan Airlines PTV system are called MAGIC system, and they are ranked "I", "II", or "III". ("I" being oldest one if I recall correctly). I think this plane was equipped with the oldest system.

The scene onboard. The male flight attendant was very nice.


The plane took off to the North, heading for Lake Superior.

Pre-meal service: Rice crackers and beverages

Japan Airlines flight attendants serve meals in unique way. They each carry around menu cards showing the choices for the meal before serving the passengers. Each passengers have about 10-15 seconds to choose the meal (because the flight attendants give the menu cards to them while serving the passengers in the prior rows) The choices were Beef Stew or Chicken. I chose the chicken.

Crossing over Lake Superior...


After 5 hours of sleep, we were not even close to International Date Line

Almost halfway there

Since the sun would be up the whole flight to Japan, all windows were closed.

After watching some movies, we were near Kamchatka Peninsula


The sun was pretty much up the whole flight.

The lunch service: I received a pasta dish with no meat.

Getting very close to Japan!

Approaching through cloudy skies above Tokyo

All was seated for the approach, and it was a bumpy one.

And the land of Japan below.


We were approaching the Narita Airport from the north.

I felt some crosswind acting up on the plane.




At around 14:30 local time, the plane had landed into Narita Airport

Bunch of old logos that are extinct nowadays.. 

I got upgraded to Business, so I better take advantage of the JAL Sakura Lounge!