Friday, December 23, 2011

First time aboard A380!
 [Korean Air] KE 608 HKG-ICN (Hong Kong->Seoul/Incheon) trip report
 [대한항공] KE 608 홍콩/첵립콕->서울/인천 탑승기

 KE 608 HKG-ICN (Hong Kong->Seoul/Incheon)
DEP HKG 00:50 16 DEC 2011
ARR ICN 05:15 16 DEC 2011
Flight Duration: 3:25
Aircraft: A380-800

Today's flight would mark my first time with A380-800.


It was midnight and I was ready to board my last flight of the 4-segment trip from Chicago/O'Hare to Seoul/Incheon. As a reminder, the trip itinerary from Chicago/O'Hare to Seoul/Incheon was as follows:

(Click each flight segments for trip reports)

Outbound

Inbound

Today's flight was a red-eye flight provided by Korean Air from Hong Kong to Seoul. There are many red-eye flights that leave from Hong Kong Airport around midnight, including many East Asian destinations such as Beijing, Seoul, and Japan. There are many other long-haul "red-eye" flights that depart from Hong Kong, including flights to Sydney, London, Paris, Dubai, and other European destinations.  
 I reason why I picked KE 608 was because the aircraft for this flight would be A380-800.  I have always wanted to experience the double-decker ever since Korean Air started flying the aircraft in 2010.

There she is, looking beautiful in KE colors.

It was around 23:00 local time when I spotted this beauty.

I was just thrilled at the aspect of boarding this plane for the first time.

It surely does look like a big blue whale from this viewpoint.

One more shot before boarding.


Boarding for KE 608 started at five minutes past midnight.
My seat was located all the way in the back in the main deck. A380 main deck was divided into three smaller sections, and it gave the cabin more homey feeling.

The windows of the A380.

The AVOD system of the new Korean economy seats.

The take-off occurred on-schedule at 01:00 local time.


For tonight's meal it was chicken, fish or beef.  I took the chicken, which turned out to be a Chinese style chicken sautéed in General Tso-like sauce served with broccolis and noodles. For salads it was mix of shrimp and more broccolis.

After eating, I walked around the plane a little, checking out the duty free shop in the back section of the plane. Unfortunately, I haven't taken any more pictures beyond this point. Most of my time aboard this A380 was spent sleeping, since it was a red-eye flight.

**
Luckily for me, I had another chance at experiencing A380 in 2013 with Emirates Airlines on a flight from Dubai to New York/JFK.

**






-