Wednesday, December 28, 2011

First time Aboard B737-900ER Sky Interior!
 [Korean Air] KE 609 ICN-HKG (Seoul/Incheon->Hong Kong) trip report
 [대한항공] KE 609 서울/인천->홍콩/첵립콕 탑승기

KE 601 ICN-HKG (Seoul/Incheon->Hong Kong)
DEP ICN 13:45 28 DEC 2011
ARR HKG 16:50 28 DEC 2011
Flight Duration: 4:05
Aircraft: B737-900ER


After about two weeks of winter vacation in Korea, it was time to go back to Chicago for last semester of school.  If you've been following my crazy flight itinerary from Chicago to Seoul, then you'll know my return trip itinerary back from Seoul to Chicago would be the same exact segments. Just as a reminder, the whole trip itinerary was as follows:

(Click each flight segments for trip reports)

Outbound

Inbound

* = This flight could have been Finnair flight to Paris. By the time I booked the ticket, this option was unavailable.
** = I was originally scheduled for AA 87 flight from LHR to ORD, but due to delay of AY 831 from Helsinki, I was rebooked into the next flight.

Today's flight would be KE 601, an afternoon Korean Air flight bound for Hong Kong. Korean Air operates four flights daily to Hong Kong. In 2011, these flights were provided through B777-200ER, B747-400, A380-800, and B737-900ER.  In order to make my Finnair AY 70 flight bound for Helsinki/Vantaa the next morning at 1:30AM (and to give myself some cushion room with time just in case), I booked myself an afternoon flight with Korean Air B737-900ER, scheduling myself to arrive into Hong Kong airport at around 5PM local time.

This would mark my first time ever in a Korean Air B737, and my first time ever experiencing Boeing Sky Interior.  I am used to traveling with wide-bodied Korean Air aircrafts, so this experience would be new.

I arrived at Seoul/Incheon Airport around noon. The airport was busy with people traveling during Holiday Season.

The Los Angeles-bound KE A380-800 at Gate 10, next to my gate.

And the Hong Kong-bound B737-900ER, which would be my flight for today.


The boarding pass.

The waiting area in the Korean Air side of the terminal.

Boarding the B737 at last!

It was my first time boarding a narrow-body jet in ICN.

The A380-800 getting ready for its long-haul flight across Pacific.

Safety Information Brief


I actually did not expect AVOD system on this plane. It turns out the new economy seats were installed on this plane.

The plane took-off through the cloudy skies toward the Yellow Sea.

 
It wasn't too long until the flight attendants started serving food.

Most Korean Air flights originating from Korea have Bibimbap as one of the choices, but on today's flight, Bibimbap wasn't offered. I took a chicken dish, which was served along with mashed potatoes, steamed vegetables, tofu, bread roll, and pineapple pieces. Chicken was well cooked and the mashed potatoes tasted great.


Passing Taiwanese airspace.

20 minutes from landing

I tried a noodle dish at Hong Kong Airport's Crystal Jade in the arrivals floor. It was one of the hottest dish I have ever tasted in my life, but I finished nonetheless.

I killed some time before checking into Finnair flights by playing some PS3 in the airport.

Looking into the post-security area of the terminal from the pre-security area.





-