Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My First Time with Air Asia X
 [Air Asia X] D7 505 ICN-KUL (Seoul/Incheon->Kuala Lumpur) trip report
 [에어아시아X] D7 505 서울/인천->쿠알라룸프르 탑승기

D7 505 ICN-KUL (Seoul/Incheon->Kuala Lumpur)
DEP ICN 17:30 22 MAY 2013
ARR KUL 23:45 22 MAY 2013
Flight Duration: 7:15
Aircraft: A330-300

The next two trip reports mark my first ever flights Air Asia or Air Asia X.  Air Asia X recently inaugurated flights to Seoul/Incheon, starting round trip prices to Kuala Lumpur for less than $100 (based on one-way price).  The airline quickly became popular among Korean travelers wanting to travel to Southeast Asia for a cheaper price.  I myself had some business to take care of in Singapore, so I decided to take Air Asia to Kuala Lumpur and then Singapore. The itinerary was to take Air Asia X D7 505 from ICN to KUL (arriving in KUL LCCT at around 10:30PM local time), and taking the Air Asia AK 1807 to Singapore the morning after.  For the returning flight from Singapore to Korea, I would be taking a non-stop Korean Air flight.
 
Trip report for AK 1807 KUL-SIN can be found on following link

Trip report for Korean Air KE 644 SIN-ICN can be found on following link

I arrived at Seoul/Incheon Airport terminal around noon-time on Wednesday, May 22nd.  

It seemed like the Soccer Players from Uzbekistan arrived that day for the friendly match against South Korean team the following week.

The counter for Air Asia X was due to open at 14:10.

The best place to spot planes in Seoul/Incheon Airport without going through passport control is located on the fourth floor near Paris Baguette.

Not a lot of people know about this place. 

This place is called "Bi Sun Roo" (비선루). The views on the main terminal ramp and the satellite concourse are amazing from up here.

There was a performance going on that day.

Check this place out next time you pass through ICN!

I made sure I was one of the first ones to check into the flight. That way, I could have a better chance at getting one of the window seats.

Even if you checked-in online, you still need to get the boarding pass printed from the airport counters. Air Asia X counters in Korea does not charge fee for people to print boarding passes at counter.

The tags for the carry-on baggage.


The boarding pass for tonight's flight. For people who pre-ordered meals, the agent would place stickers on the boarding pass. I did not pre-order any meals.

Air Asia X, along with all other international carriers other than Asiana or Korean Air, operates out of the satellite concourse of the Seoul/Incheon Airport. The signs for the satellite concourse (gates 101-132) are in red.

The escalator to underground monorail station.

Underground monorail bound for the satellite concourse.

This is what the satellite concourse looks like. Very similar layout as the Main Terminal.

My favorite resting spot in satellite concourse is the one near the star alliance lounge. 

At around 16:10, the flight D7 504 from Kuala Lumpur arrived into Gate 112.

It was the special livery Air Asia X A330.

The Air Asia Flight attendants in their striking red uniforms were waiting at the gate.

I walked around the satellite concourse for a bit before heading back toward the gate.

And the boarding process had already begun by this time.

First time traveling to Southeast Asia, so I was pretty much stoked.

Boarding the plane.



The layout of the economy class was 3-3-3 and for the last 8 rows it was 2-3-2.

The tail end section seats.

My seat, 50K, is the red seat. No one ended up seating next to me during the flight.

MIAT Monglian B767 and Emirates A380.

The seat pitch was good enough for me. And the seats didn't feel narrow either.

Panorama view of the cabin interior.

For the meals-for-purchase, the choices were as follows:
1. Pak Nasir Nasi Lemak
2. Thai Green Curry Chicken
3. Smoked BBQ Chicken
4. Chicken Redang and Basmati Rice
6. Vegetable Curry and Biryani Rice
7. Malaysian Fried Rice
 
For snacks there were chicken hot dog and pizza bake. Instant ramen and rice porridges were also offered. The meals-for-purchase were offered at 10000 KRW or 10 USD. The instant ramen were 4000 KRW and the rice porridges were 3000 KRW.  They were just too expensive, but I ended up ordering the Thai Green Curry Chicken.

Each seats had Air Asia X logo on them.

Push-Back
 

Hawaiian B767.  Now Hawaiian serves A330 to ICN.
 
Click on the following trip reports for my experiences with Hawaiian between Seoul and Honolulu.

And the plane finally took off.

After taking off toward the north, the plane immediately turned away toward west before setting direction for Malaysia.

The sunlight was intense, so I closed the windows.

The plane eventually rose to a safe altitude.

And the flight attendants started serving beverages/snacks/pre-ordered meals

The interior lights dimmed a bit.

I paid 10000 KRW (10USD) for the Thai Green Curry Chicken meal.

The portion was too little for the price I paid.

The sun was eventually setting.

The plane lights were turned off completely

Two hours 'til landing.

I decided to spend 6 MYR (about 3 USD or 3000KRW) and got a Bubur Nasi, which is like an instant chicken soup.

Looked like this when cooked.

It wasn't too bad! It felt like the breakfast potato grits in the USA.

During second meal service.

After one hour and half of nap, I've arrived at Malaysia.

Local time 23:00

MasKargo sign tells me I'm in KUL!

No rain.. thank God! (since I have to walk outside to the terminal)

There were a lot of other Air Asia X A330. 

The flight attendants were announcing to tell passengers not to take pictures outside. Air Asia really wants passengers to keep moving without stopping.

It was very hot and humid outside...

I took a quick picture before walking toward the terminal.

The agents everywhere were directing people where to go.

Not too long of a walk later I got to the entrance of the terminal, where I would be taking escalator up to customs and immigration.


Immigrations Arrivals Customs. There were many lines available for foreign passport holders so I didn't have to wait a long time.

Immigration stamp and sticker.

After immigration customs I went back downstairs past customs declaration

I heard from other trip reports that exchange rate here was the best.

LCCT

Starbucks was due to close 01:00 so I headed for McDonald's

My 11-hour layover in LCCT would begin now.
(Update) LCCT will forever be missed. I've traveled through this terminal three times and it is one of the most unique terminals in the world (IMHO). 

Trip report for AK 1807 KUL-SIN can be found here

Trip report for Korean Air KE 644 SIN-ICN can be found here